Inver Istituzionale

Innovative Green Coatings

  • 1934

    Inver was born

  • 1952

    Industrializa-
    tion of the plant based in Via di Corticella Bologna

  • 1970

    First waterborne paint data surveys

  • 1980

    First powder coatings studies

  • 1988

    Opening of Minerbio plant

  • 2008

    Takeover of Becker Powder Coatings

Bologna, since 1934

INVER was established in 1934 by Giovanni Domenichini, the grandfather of the present CEO of the company who also has the same name. As early as 1935, after only one year, the modest laboratory was no longer sufficient and the company moved to the first factory in Via Bigari which had a covered area of about 800 m2.

The early 1950's were marked by the economic reorganisation of the country. INVER prospered and the production areas had to be adapted to meet the demands of ever increasing sales. This led to the second move to a plant with more than 6,000 m2 at n. 205, Via di Corticella.

#
Our origins
origini

Shortly after this relocation the founder of the company died in April 1953. The management of INVER then passed into the hands of the young son Giorgio who is the current president of the company. The nineteen seventies saw the beginning of the commercial expansion of INVER and the improvement of the production organisation which then counted 60 personnel.

The early 1950's were marked by the economic reorganisation of the country. INVER prospered and the production areas had to be adapted to meet the demands of ever increasing sales. This led to the second move to a plant with more than 6,000 m2 at n. 205, Via di Corticella.

In order to be able to operate in this segment, in which one of the critical success factors is personalisation of the product, INVER decided to produce its own resins. Resin is the polymer that gives the paint product its particular characteristics and the incorporation of resin production at the beginning of the production process made it possible to research and produce water soluble products for industry.

Around the middle of the 1970's construction work started on the new plant at Minerbio on a site of 90,000 m2. At the end of this decade research on water soluble paints started in INVER's R&D laboratory. At the beginning of the eighties a considerable shareholding was acquired in the PULVERLAC company which produced powder coatings later taken over by the multinational ROHM & HAAS which in turn was taken over by AKZO.

In the mid eighties INVER started to acquire the know-how for paint products destined for the engineering industry, first from SVI STANDARD which was part of INTERNATIONAL PAINTS of the English COURTAULDS group later taken over by AKZO, then by HERBERTS ITALIA which was a part of the German HOECHST group and which then became part of the DU PONT group.

License agreements were also entered with SHERWIN WILLIAM, a US company, for the production of anaphoretic and cataphoretic paint products with high solid content. However INVER did not limit itself to acquiring only know-how but also signed a contract permitting the Spanish company BARPIMO to produce water soluble paints based on INVER formulations.

In the early nineties the shareholding in PULVERLAC was sold and INVER was thus free to start producing its own powder coatings at the new Minerbio plant. At the beginning of this century INVER started a process of extending its supply chain with the founding of INVERCOLOR, the first of a series of distribution companies of which there are now seven. It also commenced the process of internationalisation in earnest with the creation of INVER GmbH in Germany, the first foreign subsidiary of which there are now four.

A license agreement was also signed permitting the Jordanian company NATIONAL PAINT to start production of powder coating products using INVER formulations. In 2005 a contract for the distribution of cataphoretic products in Italy was signed with PPG, one of the most important companies in the world for paint products

On 30 September 2008 INVER took over the powder coating manufacturing company Becker with its four plants in France, United Kingdom, Poland and Italy (L’Aquila).

In 2010 the INVER EAST MED branch, based in Athens-Greece, has been created.